A Sonoma County, California resident, Larry Potts has won considerable acclaim by winning and placing in numerous songwriting competitions, and as a seasoned performer has delighted audiences in the San Francisco Bay Area with his easy, relaxed delivery and award-winning songs.
His songs have attracted the attention of music publishers and A&R reps from Nashville and Los Angeles who have picked up a number of his tunes, which range in genre from Contemporary Folk, Americana and Country to Blues, Pop, and Jazz.
With great attention to lyrical detail and an emphasis on storytelling, Larry's songs have been arranged and produced on two albums entitled "The Shape of Things to Come" (2002) and "All Things Considered" (2006). He's released a short fundraiser album entitled "Hometown Hardware" celebrating the rebuilding of Petaluma's famous local hardware store. A third album is due out November '08 entitled "Close To Home." Every tune is carefully crafted, highly listenable, and radio-friendly.
His songs have had considerable airplay, including Air America and XM Radio, and he has been featured in North Bay Area newspaper & magazine articles (see Press link).
Highlights from songwriting competitions:
- Artists for Literacy (SIBL) finalist, CD compilation disc w/ Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Roseanne Cash, David Bowie, Vicky Randle. Song: "The Ballad of Poker Alice"
- West Coast Songwriter's Assn. Dan Howell Song of the Year. Song: "Home to Oregon"
- Kerrville Folk Festival finalist (performer)
- John Lennon International Song Contest, top four finalist, Folk/Acoustic category. Song: "The Ballad of Poker Alice"
- West Coast Songwriter's Association International Song Contest Best Americana Song, Third Place overall. WCS "Winners Compilation Disc. Song: "Home to Oregon"
- Unisong International Song Contest Acoustic/Folk Third Place overall (the only American to win in that year) Song: "3804"
- Great American Song Contest Top 10 Finalist, Contemporary Acoustic/Folk "I'm American Too" and Special Music "Hats".
- Unisong International Song Contest Top 20 Finalist AAA-Americana"Baby of the Brigade", Country -"That..a-Way", Performance "Great Big Empty"
- Sebastapol Center for the Arts Music & Words Contest Merit Award-- "Hats" and Best of Show-"Late in the Game"
- West Coast Songwriters International Song Contest winner, folk category "'The Ballad of Poker Alice"
- Winner West Coast Songwriters International Song Contest Humor Category "Hats"
- Air America Progressive Talk Radio Thom Hartmann Show, "I'm American Too" "Snake Oil" and "Against the Grain"
- Public Domain Foundation Music To Life song contest TOP 40 XM radio broadcast,
"Since Then" and "I'm American Too"
- KRSH Radio 95.9 plays "Hometown Hardware" and "Hats"